“We Only Smell Bad on the Outside”: Geek culture explored Wednesday at the Fayetteville Public LibraryBanner, News — By Christopher Spencer on June 15, 2010 at 1:37 pm
At 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, historian Chet Cornell will discuss the grand historical arc of geek culture in a presentation called “We Only Smell Bad on the Outside: An Introduction to Sci-fi/Fantasy Culture in America.”
The free talk will be in the Walker Community Room.
The series continues at 6:30 p.m. June 23 when author Ethan Gilsdorf speaks. Gilsdorf is the author of Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks: An Epic Quest for Reality Among Role Players, Online Gamers, and Other Dwellers of Imaginary Realms.
Gilsdorf, a book and film critic for the Boston Globe, will discuss the appeal of online gaming, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and role-playing games.
His talk will also be in the Walker Community Room.
The month of events will conclude on at 4 p.m. June 29 with the Teen Gamers Club. The club meets monthly to play Wii games, cards and board games.
For more information, visit www.faylib.org or call 856.7250.
- ‘The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks’ author Rebecca Skloot speaks at Fayetteville Public Library Oct. 21 | Community Announcement at 10:40 pm on October 13, 2010
- Historian Charles Robinson speaks May 1 at FPL on interracial couples | Announcement at 12:34 pm on April 22, 2011
- Your Friendly Local Gaming Store: The Gathering | Five Questions with Steven “Boogie” Williams of Castle House Games at 4:09 pm on October 5, 2011
- Fayetteville Public Library continues free financing retirement workshops in December | Community Announcement at 9:41 am on November 30, 2010
- Art Talks scheduled at the Fayetteville Underground | Community Announcements at 12:43 pm on August 25, 2010
Leave a Reply
Please play nice in the comments and when in doubt, please consult Our Comment Policy
You must be logged in to post a comment.