Fayetteville designated as a bicycle friendly community | Community AnnouncementAnnouncement, News — By Christopher Spencer on September 16, 2010 at 4:49 pm
The City of Fayetteville was named a Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists and awarded a bronze status.
The League of American Bicyclists has established the Bicycle Friendly campaign to encourage communities to become more bicycle friendly through a detailed application and feedback process. The application is based of five the E’s of safe bicycling; Engineering, Education, Encouragement, Evaluation & Planning, and Enforcement. In 2008, Fayetteville applied for designation and was awarded honorable mention.
At that time, detailed feedback was provided including steps that have been taken over the past two years to elevate Fayetteville to a bronze designation. As the City continues to expand the extensive system of trails and on-street bicycle facilities, we expect to receive silver or higher designation in the near future.
Laura Kelly and the Bicycle Coalition of the Ozarks have played a vital role in this designation through their excellent bicycle education and promotion programs.
Fayetteville becomes the second city in Arkansas and one of only 156 in the United States to receive Bicycle Friendly Community status. In 2009, North Little Rock was awarded bronze Bicycle Friendly Community Status. See attached List of all Bicycle Friendly Communities and their designation.
For more information on the Bicycle Friendly Communities, please visit http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/bicyclefriendlyamerica/communities/index.php
- Frisco Trail ribbon-cutting celebration planned for 5:30 p.m. Wednesday | Community Announcement at 11:23 pm on October 13, 2010
- Bike To Work Week starts Sunday in Fayetteville | Announcement at 2:25 pm on May 10, 2011
- Bentonville named 2010 Volunteer Community of the Year | Community Announcement at 5:10 pm on November 9, 2010
- Bentonville applies for Volunteer Community of the Year award at 9:11 pm on July 28, 2009
- State names Fayetteville a Volunteer Community of the Year for second year | Community Announcement at 4:05 pm on November 9, 2010
Leave a Reply
Please play nice in the comments and when in doubt, please consult Our Comment Policy
You must be logged in to post a comment.